Show some love to the planet by taking good care of your clothes, by doing this you can help lower your climate impact but also extend the life of your favorite clothes.
Here are some easy tips:
- Wash less, air dry more.
- Spot-wash stains.
- Instead of washing denim, try refreshing them by putting them in the freezer.
- If you need to wash them, wash denim inside out.
- Wash on lower temperatures to save energy.
- Avoid dry cleaning & tumble dryers.
- Remember to zip up your garments before washing to avoid damage.
- Use washing bags to protect garments.
- Use microfiber collecting wash bags to protect synthetic garments and reduces the amount of microfibers that may enter rivers and oceans from washing.
- Once you have tired of a garment, recycle it. Give it to a friend or charity, resell it or leave it at a Weekday store and we will recycle it for you… and give you 10% off your next purchase.
Up to 25% of garment’s environmental footprint happens after we buy it (source: wrap.org.uk). That means the way we care for our clothes, actually has a big impact on our planet.
One way to care for the planet is to wash clothes only when necessary. There are other ways of keeping them fresh. Instead of washing the whole garment, try spot-washing and using natural solutions to get rid of stains. Airing your garments or hanging them in the bathroom when you are taking a shower is a great way to refresh them.
Your denim will feel better and last longer if you remember to wash it inside out. You can also refresh them by putting them into the freezer for a few nights.
Dry cleaning and using tumble dryers require a lot of energy, avoid them to save on natural resources. Protect your garments from unnecessary damage by doing the following: zip up clothes when washing them, use a laundry bag for wool and delicates and dry them flat, to avoid stretching. Use microfiber wash bags for synthetics as these types of materials may release microfibers when washed.